Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Green Beans and Red Apples

      I will never forget my days as a young girl when I would travel to the country to spend time with my Nanny.  She was a little old woman, but she was quick with a fly swatter or a switch, which my younger brother learned early. Her hands were worn and blistered from her life as a farmer. These hands that were quick to discipline were the same hands that would welcome a stranger into her home. Anyone was welcome to make a visit to see her, but when it came time for her nap, she was sure to tell you it was getting late and you should be on your way. For, a woman like her needed a nap, so she could get up early to tend to her garden.  
      One could soon see that she was passionate about her garden for she would rise early in the morning before the sun made it's appearance. Red tomatoes, green beans, red grapes, granny smith apples, red delicious apples were her delight.  She would be in her garden from early in the morning hours until dawn. At dawn, she would go into the house and go straight to her bed to get a good night's rest for tomorrow was in just a few hours.
         When her fruits and vegetables were ripe she would go the market to sell them. She would sale what she could then return home to once again take care of her garden. The produce that she would not sale would be our next meal or she would give to friends and family. When it was time for dessert she would serve apple pie from the apples that she would grow in her garden.
         Occasionally, I would ride to market with her when my parents would need some time to themselves. We would ride in her truck with our windows down to catch a cool breeze. As we would ride, she would see a stranger walking by the road. She knew not a stranger for she would stop and ask them if they needed a ride.
         Although, I thought that my loved ones would never leave me, the day came that the Lord took her from me and the rest of my family. How I miss her apples, green beans, grapes, and tomatoes, but most of all, I will miss the times I spent with her as a young child and young adult. When I see an apple pie I will be sure to bless the Lord and thank her for the memories she left me with. May these memories always remain with me as I will share them with my son who never really knew her.
 
              
        

No comments:

Post a Comment