Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Daddy's Girl

        I find my childhood memories so fond as if yesterday never left me, but the memories that I will always cherish most are those of my Daddy. He was a country boy at heart because he wore plaid shirts, blue jeans, a belt buckle the size of a Korr's lid, and cowboy boots. He took pride in driving his pickup truck that he called "Old Bessy". His quiet demeanor was just a facade for he always had a joke and a smile that could make a grizzly bear laugh. As a young girl, I found out early how to find time to be with my Daddy, for I was indeed Daddy's Girl.
         Every morning he would wake me and my younger brother from our childish childhood dreams. As a young girl, I was not cheerful in the early morning hours. I would stay quiet and grumble about how sleepy I was. He would smile at me, and poke at me while saying, "I am going to make you smile before you leave for school today". He usually succeeded because a young girl like me could not resist to smile after being poked in the belly.
         He drove his pickup truck with the windows down, so neighbors from near and far could hear his Honky Tonk tunes: Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and Waylon Jennings just to name a few. I knew as a young girl that his pickup truck was his pride and joy, so I would ride around town with him just to keep him company. As we would ride, we would come to a bump in the road, then he would smile and say "Bumpty, bump".  Once again, he would bring a smile to my face and make me giggle.
          He always had a boat that he would store in the garage. He would hitch up his boat to the pickup truck, so he could go fishing. We always knew what we were having for dinner that evening when he would hitch up his boat to the back of his pickup truck. Occasionally, I would accompany him on his ventures to the lake or river. We would go fishing until the sun disappeared from the sky. Then, we would bring home a few fish to fry.
           My Daddy was also a church going man. He praised God every Sunday regardless of how tired he was from a long week at work. "Sunday's are the Lord's day", he would say to me and my sleepy younger brother. The day finally came when my brother and I both found salvation. Daddy was so proud of us both that he squeezed me, unintentionally, until my nose bled.
            He spent his leisurely time in front of the television, so I realized that this was when I could spend more time with him. I would spend many a day, watching the Cincinnati Reds play baseball. These were the days when Pete Rose and Johnny Bench were All Stars. He would also watch the UK Wildcats play at Rupp Arena. These two sports I will always remember him for and I still watch to this very day.
           He would give up the television set to my brother and I on Friday nights and Saturday mornings, but  Sundays were always his days. After Church he delighted in watching his car races on television. My younger brother and I knew as soon as he drifted off to sleep we could turn the channel on the television set, but somehow this would always wake him up. It was as if he had the television programed to wake him up if my brother and I changed the channel. If he only knew that today we have DVRs that can save the television shows that we want to watch later.
            Unfortunately, I was not aware that Daddy would have a short life to live. These are just a few of my fondest memories of my loving, devoted, joking Daddy. I will always keep these fond memories in my heart. As I watch the Reds or the Cats play ball, I will remember the joy and laughter he brought to me in my childhood days. These days of enjoyment with Daddy may have been short, but I will always remain Daddy's Girl.                     
          
         

No comments:

Post a Comment